The Old Wagonhouse

The Old Wagonhouse

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Planting season

Yesterday I went to fetch the trees at the nursery. We are planting a apricot cultivar called Super Gold. It is actually an older cultivar and sort of out of fashion for the fresh fruit markets. It's biggest positive is the early ripening as well as good fruit size. It do sort of cracks if it gets to much rain which is why it's not used anymore.
Just by clearing the ground for the new plantings I managed to free nearly 0,33ha of extra land for planting. Surprising how much land is unused because of flood irrigation's limitations of use, roads, and bad planning.
As with most things all does not go according to plan. After getting the trees early and getting nearly 1600 trees in the soil my irrigation system (new) failed me. A big dissappointment. Hopefully this morning we will get that corrected. As with most new things added to older systems the older systems can not usually carry the newer power / pressure. Allready got two pipes bursting and a new valve blowing water. All in the process of expansion.
I know today is going to be a much better day and we will irrigate the new planting efficiently as well start to irrigate the others too.
I am very positive about raining coming in September / October. I read yesterday that their is a Low pressure over Gough Island which apparently means that lots of saturated air will be pushed over Southern Africa and which means spring rain. We are due for some of that so get the umbrella's out. I was asked a few times why plant in such a dry spell. Well I guess the answer is Hope. Such a difficult period usually means cutting out the older wood - in my case literally - and provide for the younger. But as I said the rain is coming and we must be prepared.

1 comment:

Sally said...

Great news about the coming rain....

Women Wine Wednesday was an interesting and very enjoyable evening. The Withoek Shiraz is so delicious; we've bought a case to share with our family and friends over the festive season. Hopefully we'll even have a few bottles left to put down for a few years.

Good luck with the irrigation system!