The Old Wagonhouse

The Old Wagonhouse

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Early bird or early worm?

Well the fruit is ripening. I allready had my first plum yesterday -watery but satisfactory. I will probably start to pick apricots and plums beginning next week. Really something to look forward to. My own diet usually changes considerably during harvest season. I do eat a hell of a lot of fruit from the trees and that usually continues from early November to middle of March.

The predictions for the season looks very uncertain. The certainties being a shortage of apricots and the canning guys don't want any apricots and peaches. The prices they are going to pay is very uncertain and the dried fuit company SAD says they will only have a meeting the 30th of November to decide the prices. The problem is I will be finished drying then. How must I buy in fruit if I don't know what I am going to get.

Well the grapes look well and the addition of Iron to the Peach trees really was what they needed if you look at the additional growth. Buys this week training the young vines - bend them while their young sort of approach.

No comments: